Getting involved with school
At Thomas Buxton Primary School we believe that working together enables us to achieve the very best outcomes for our children. We foster Parental Engagement in two ways:
Parents as Learners
We offer a wide range of courses and one day workshops to support parents with understanding the school curriculum as well as general parenting courses throughout the year. We also offer courses to support parents with English language as well as skills for employment. These courses are advertised on the school website, the school Piota App (phone/tablet) as well as by flyers and word of mouth. Every Term a ‘Parent Menu’ of course is sent out detailing the overall offer.
What we offer:
- The Senior Management Team are visible and accessible at the beginning and end of the school day to respond to questions and concerns.
- We have a senior group of teaching Assistants called the ‘Pathways Team’ who form our pastoral team. They are available to talk with at the school gates or by request at the school office. They can help you with any questions or concerns.
- Headteacher Coffee Mornings focus on a key area of the school goals. (Governors will also be present). These are held every term.
- Consultation Meetings (the next meeting will focus on Homework consultation (Tuesday 27th November 2018 @ 9am)
- Open Mornings – this is an opportunity for parents and carers to see ‘how’ their children learn in class. This takes place every term. The next Open Morning will be in the new year. There are also regular Stay and Play sessions in Early Years.
- ‘Open Door’ Thursdays (2.45-3.20pm in the Parent Room) – this is an opportunity for you to come along every week and meet someone from senior management to share your ideas for school improvement or to talk about any aspect of school life.
- Parent and Carer Celebrations – it is important that parents are able to make friendships and feel part of the school community. Once every term, parents are invited to bring and share food together in the school hall. The next celebration day is on Tuesday 11th December 2018 (1.30-3.30pm).
We also value the support and effort that many parents offer with our special fundraising events as well as school trips. Many parents get involved in cooking, baking, accompanying trips and many other areas where we need support. Just ask staff if you want to find out how to get involved.